When speaking with your friends or family members, you can typically use informal greetings.
There are certain situations where formal terms are still used with family members.
For example, “sir” and “ma’am” are often used by young children when they address their parents, especially in the American South.
Any questions you have about greeting your friends and family in English will be banished by the end of this lesson. Because today I’ll be teaching you 7 essential greetings for your friends and family and When / How to use them.
Addressing 👨👩👧👦Family & Friends
- First we have the term HONEY 🍯
This word is used as an informal greeting by adults to address children 👩🏻🤝👨🏼➡️ 👼🏻. It can also be used in romantic relationships 👩🏻❤️👨🏻 .
2. Another informal term is SWEETIE
This word is used by parents to address children👩🏻🤝👨🏼➡️ 👼🏻 Or in romantic relationships 👩🏻❤️👨🏻
This informal greeting is most commonly used in romantic relationships.
BABY can also be used by adults to address children.
4. BUDDY is typically used to refer to a male friend, child or even a pet.
5. HUN, wich is a shortened version of the word Honey, explained above. Just like the word brother can be shortened into the word bro and sister to the word sis.
We use hun typically to refer to a female, child or friend, boyfriend or girlfriend.
6. SIR. We use sir as a formal term for an adult male that usually follows yes or no.
This term is also frequently used in military circumstances.
7. Ma’am is a formal term for an adult female that often follows yes or no.
In a British English however Ma’am is used formally with the women in certain positions of status such as queens or politicians.
There you have your guide to addressing your friends and family in English.
Review everything in this lesson to memorize well. Good luck and check the English tab for more vocabulary or grammar lessons 😉
To support me, please follow my Pinterest 🤗